Monday, October 8, 2012

Orchard Road

Seriously, these people know how to shop!  Its like a Mall of America on every single block.  And all of the shopping centers are high-rise. . . with, six, or seven, or eight floors.   Just when you think you must have seen it all there is another escalator going the other direction . . . and you find a NEW six, or seven or eight floors.   Everything you could ever want to buy - EVER.   I apologize in advance if my first three months of posting is all about the latest and greatest mall I've found but that seems to be the thing to do in Singapore.



Repeatedly, I am more lost inside than out on the streets.   

I met Catherine the Production Manager from IFA for lunch.  Correction, she came and collected me and took me to the most lovely lunch place a world-away from the little street corner fried buns and sketchy noodles I have found so far.  My previous Singapore food has been un-inspiring, but to be fair it was like sending a visitor to the US to the mall food-court for tasty eats.  It's just not happening there people.   But this lunch was lovely: pasta, salad and a flourless chocolate cake with real cream.  I left stuffed and happy. 

First roommate interview/visitation was just blocks from the famous Orchard Road across from the President's home.  It must be the safest block in Singapore because if you even think of a crime you might be faced with this fate.  (See photo)



The apartment is small, but cozy.  The rent is reasonable and the room has a lovely view.  The prospective roommates are CRAZY.  Seriously, it is a little bit like a movie plot.  Two, lesbian, eco-friendly, vegan, event planners.  I have never felt so loved on a housing-hunt.  There was vegan wine, a little Ellen Degeneres, a vegan cooking demonstration (with tasting of course), and plenty of chat.  I like them and I can't believe that my first place seems so promising.  I'm going to keep looking of course but if that is home it will be a good one.  And hey, I will try to stay friends with those girls even if I don't end up living there.

On the way out Marie walked me through another mall (An air-conditioned short cut on the way to the Subway or nearest bus stop), showed me the best night club, the best foreign exchange place, and where to get the cheapest fresh juice. 



I stopped at the grocery store, bought my first MRT card (aka SmartTrip or Metro Card) and successfully navigated the bus right to my hotel door.   Bath, blog and zzzzzzzzzzz are in my future. 



~k

ps. news on the job front.  My original ghost series just might be back on again.  MADNESS I say, good madness, but madness.  I'll learn more tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment