Saturday, October 13, 2012

Lets go to India



Welcome to India!  It's time for Depavali

Today I took a small trip to India - not the real one - little India down Serangoon Road about 8 blocks from my hotel.  For the first time I am ready to post my own photos on the blog and I will pretty much let them do the talking. 



It was an overwhelming and amazing onslaught to all senses.  The air smelled of passionfruit, jasmine and incense.  The colors were brilliant.

 The Indians of Singapore are getting prepped for their festival of lights here called Depavali (someplaces Dewali).  I believe it is scheduled for November 8th but the streets are already filled with vendors selling strings of fresh flowers,
 
 row upon row of giant street banner decorations, stacks of little lights and piles of "happy depavali"gear.  Everyone seems to be gathering their best clothes and buying jewelry for themselves and their homes.  I stopped at a corner restaurant and bravely ordered the "chicken set meal" for $7.  It comes served on a giant leaf and consists of curry sauce, rice, pepper chicken, a creamy cucumber carrot salad, lentils and some okra stew.
 
Bam.  My tongue is still recovering and my tummy is warmly happy.  I should have sprung for the Naan but my waiters were busily serving other guests.  I did spot this sweet little boy on the iphone under the register desk keeping busy while his parents worked. 

And in case the chicken set meal isn't to your liking - I can offer you the Fish head promotion.  $15 only.  Every day available.  Come visit me and I will take you there and watch you attempt to figure out how to eat one.

On the way out I bought a few Depavali treats for myself and some little folk back home.  And stopped by a sari store filled with fabrics in colors and patterns that made me wish I wore saris.

 

I picked out some passion fruits, oranges, a garland of flowers and a string of orange globe lights for my hotel room / new room in Singapore.  

Now if everyone in the states would just wake up so I can call you all.

~k

1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!! Happy Dewali to you Korin!!!! I hope that you ate some lovely fruits and lit a candle and did not eat a fish head dinner, cuz that just sounds gross. I hope if we come visit you, you do not take us to the fish head place/s. BLECK.

    ReplyDelete